RichardKesiar
We use a IP packet capture based system for call recording which is not able to provide a warning tone (beep) for the recorded calls. I'd like to find out if this can be done with a JTAPI application in a cost effective way (without additional TSAPI or station licenses).

I know about the service observing warning tone which could be used as the recording tone, but it seems that service observing can only be done from a terminal (physical or IP station) which will require a station RTU license. Is there a way to observe without consuming a station RTU?

I was also thinking about doing a single step conference call to add an announcement extension or a VDN which would play the announcement with the beeps. The TSAPI ref guide describes that AWOH extensions can be a "deviceToBeJoin", but I don't know if VNDs or announcements are considered as such. To add the beeps to SCC would need to be a PT_ACTIVE type which may be another issue.

Am I right about these? Is there any other option to add the beeps to a call?

Richard
MartinFlynn
Hi Richard,

It seems very unlikely that you will be able to play a beep without using some licenses. Another issue that may cause you a problem is how will you find out that there is a call to a particular phone and what it's CallID is. There are license-free ways of getting CallIDs but you may end up having to monitor the phones in order to get accurate data.

You can Service Observe (SO) from a terminal or DMCC phone. There is an FAQ called "What licenses are required for DMCC based Call Recording solution?". It is about DMCC recorders but you may find the information of some help. For example, what it says about Single Step Conferencing (SSC) will apply when using TSAPI.

One thing that should help is to remember that you will not need to keep the beep attached to the call all the time. This means that if you want to beep for 1 second every 40 seconds, you could use one beeper for approximately every 30 phones being recorded. This should allow enough time to disconnect the beep from one call and attach it to another.

Two suggestion would be:

Using Conferencing:
1. Register a pool of DMCC phones which will act as beeps.
2. For each phone, generate an RTP tone.
3. Conference the beep into the call using SSC or manually (Hold and Conference) for 1 second before disconnecting.
4. The Beep is now available for another call.

Using SO:
1. Register a pool of DMCC phones which will act as observers.
2. SO the observer into a call for 1 second before disconnecting.
3. The Beep is now available for another call.

I think SO may be the best option here as it will not show up as a Conference on the user's display and you will not need to provide the beep yourself.

Martin
RichardKesiar
Hi Martin,

Thank you for your advice. The recorded stations are already monitored by the call recording system so we should be able to add an additional monitor on these stations without consuming additional TSAPI basic licenses.

Would it be possible to use some kind of dummy station to be the service observer terminal? We currently don't use DMCC and would like to keep it the simplest possible. Our only requirement is adding the beep tone to the recorded calls.

Richard
MartinFlynn
I think it may be possible to use a station configured as an x-port as your SO. However, I think that that may require a TSAPI Advanced license which is expensive.

Have a look at https://devconnect.avaya.com/public/forum/d_forum_3.jsp?t=3327&f=26 and see if any of the suggestions there are suitable for you.

Martin
RichardKesiar
I think we already have the TSAPI Advanced license. We try it and see if it works. Thanks a lot for your help.

Richard
RichardKesiar
Hi Martin,

I did try this with the JTAPI exerciser. I used fastConnect method in LucentCallEx2 to call the service observer FAC.

It works if the service observing origterm/origaddr is a real station and the warning tone is provided.

If the service observing origterm/origaddr is a CTI type X port station the fastConnect() returns the connection, but the actual service observing doesn't seem to be happening and the beeps are not heard.

Would you have any other suggestions?

Richard
MartinFlynn
Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions. As you can see from the other thread, this is something that has caused problems for others.

Martin
RichardKesiar
Hi Martin,

We got the DMCC licenses and I'm using the sample softphone application from the DMCC SDK to create a SO station.

I'm trying to work out to actual logic to do the multiplex service observing. I'm using the JTAPI Exerciser to do this.

Everything works fine, but I could not figure out how I could switch to SO another number if the SO is already active for a call.

If I get the Call object and drop() it then it also drops the service observed call. I only want to stop the SO to be able to start it on another call again.

All other similar methods of the Connection or TerminalConnection objects results a "ResourceUnavailableException CSTA Error: 33"

Could you please tell how to do this properly?

Richard
MartinFlynn
Have you tried putting the recorder off-hook?
RichardKesiar
I tried it and got a MethodNotSupportedException.

I've also found it in the JTAPI doc that the CallControlCall.offHook() method is not supported.

Our use of the service observing warning tone is may be a bit unusual. We don't actually need to record the call and we don't want to wait until the call is terminated by the other parties.

Would be another way to do this?

MartinFlynn
But you are using DMCC for the SO station. use something like:

soDevice.getPhone.SetHookswitchStatus(true, null);
RichardKesiar
I was hoping to do the control logic with JTAPI and use DMCC only for creating the SO virtual stations.

I did some more tests with the JTAPI Exerciser. It looks that the disconnect() method can't be used on a service observer connection. Regardless if the SO station is a physical terminal or a softphone I get the "ResourceUnavailableException CSTA Error: 33" exception.

Could you confirm if this can be accomplished only with the DMCC API? I'm OK to open a support ticket if it is necessary to get to the bottom of this.
MartinFlynn
I can't see any way of doing it with JTAPI.
Go to:   
Mobile view