BradAnderson
This may seem like a strange question, but I need to have the full name for the IP_API_I licenses. I do not know the second A in the IP_API_I stands for. Does anyone know?

I have not bee able to find it online of in any of the documentation.
JohnBiggs
I suspect that is lost to history... if you need one you can use Internet Protocol Application Programming Interface Adjunct, it fits since it is used with the AE Services Adjunct.

In the code base there are numerous types of IP H.323 devices. IP Softphones, IP Agents, eCon(sole), etc. Among them is IP_API_A, IP_API_B and IP_API_C. The only one of A, B, C that is used is IP_API_A; the rest appear to be placeholders.

Given the layout of the data structures here is what I think happened. There was a grand plan to have ~10 types of licensed IP devices. Some had names, some were ideas. Someone starting coding and put in some placeholders for the ones that were ideas. Their intention was to come back and change the placeholder strings to more accurate names at some future point. Something happened... e.g. the developer left. Someone else took over their code. They didn't have the history, but they could see that the IP_API_A was 'available'. So they used it without changing it's name (thinking there was something special about the name). Everyone was too busy to question it or make the change (after all it is just a label).

I have personal experience with exactly that scenario, so it is what comes to mind. In a large development where builds of the entire base occur weekly one often puts in place holders to create space in data structures so you can use the place holders to get work done up until the next build of the base is done. If you don't, you may need to pull in tens of thousands of files that depend on that data structure into your personal build environment ... and there may not be adequate HDD space for a lot of the people in the project to do that. This is less and less of a problem these days, but I think the IP_ work was done in the late '90s.

Note that there is nothing in the documentation or code base I found that explains what IP_API_A is... just that it exists.
Go to:   
Mobile view