Sksups
Hi,
we see in our tomcat logging in catalina.out logs, entries like

VPAppLogClientBase:getSaveReportPath: savereportLogPath: /usr/local/tomcat6/webapps/OD_Driver/../../logs/
VPAppLogClientBase:getSaveReportPath: savereportLogPath: /usr/local/tomcat6/webapps/OD_Driver/../../logs/

also we see vpAppLogClient.log files in log directories.

i want to ask,
1. can we disable these logging. (like whats the use)

2. And if we disable it, is there any impact of any application reporting on EPM

(we want to reduce any non required usage /processing for the server)
RossYakulis
Try looking at this file (VPAppLogClient.log4j.properties) in tomcat_home/lib to disable.
Sksups
Thanks, If I disable it by commenting all entries in property file, does it affect any think on call reporting done via EPM?

also we actually encountering java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space issue
Out application run on Tomcat6. would disabling VPAppClient logging help
RossYakulis
Commenting out the entries in that file should not have any affect on reporting nor would it help with your permgen issue.

From the release notes

29. To optimize garbage collection performance on the Application Server, we recommend adding the
following:
For Windows: Create a system level environment variable:
export JAVA_OPTS = ?-server -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxNewSize=30m -XX:+UseParNewGC -
XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC-XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 –
XX:ThreadStackSize=512?
For Linux: when Tomcat is started as a service, add the flowing to the beginning of your
/etc/init.d/tomcat file:
JAVA_OPTS="-server -Xmx1024M -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -
XX:ThreadStackSize=512"
ulimit -n 8192
NOTE: The Xmx1024M parameter we try to set to somewhere around half the size of the RAM
configured on the box.
Restart the machine after setting the JAVA_OPTS, and verify that the new setting are in effect by
doing an: ps -ef | grep java

NOTE This is ONLY a suggestion. Each application server would have to be tuned for the specific application set it is running. there are plenty of articles on the internet on adjusting the parameters above.
Sksups
Thank you Ross,
Just for our reference, can you please tell which release notes you referred here(so that I can suggest same to our team)

also I think we can set JAVA_OPTS via catalina.sh (since we are using startup/shutdown.sh on Linux while deploying)

we have single instance of that tomcat which is taking calls, and If we want may be we can start with increasing it to 512m first, what would be the suggested entry
RossYakulis
I looked in the 7.0 release notes. That has been the release notes for many releases.
annam
Hello, Ross
Which 7.0 release notes are you looking? Could you share this document?
Regards
Anna
RossYakulis
That was 3 years ago :shock: . Probably the 5.1, 6.0 releases.
annam
The question is is it release note for TOMCAT or EXP PORTAL?
RossYakulis
OD.
annam
Thanks
VasilyL
Hi Ross!

Sorry for picking up the topic from the long shelf.
But I have faced with the similar problem regarding "we see in our tomcat logging in catalina.out logs, entries" like

The problem here is that I cannot influence on that output changing VPAppLogClient.log4j.properties.

I did a small investigation and see that the log line does not use logger.
In my tomcat I see VPAppLogClient_7.0.1.jar library.
The code in VPAppLogClientBase class does the logging directly to the System.out...

System.out.println("VPAppLogClientBase:getSaveReportPath: savereportLogPath: " + savereportLogPath);

The fun thing is that the log4j logger field instantiates for VPAppLogClientBase class in the method initLog4j (invoked in the constructor) but it is not used in savereportLogPath method.

So, I am thinking:
1. Either I do not understand something properly and do not understand how to disable this output via PAppLogClient.log4j.properties or
2. It is fixed in later versions of library.
3. Any other ideas...

So, could you please tell me how to do a configuration properly?
Thank you in advance for you help!
WilsonYu
You can not get rid of this line. Basically it tells you where your file file would be when the logger is being initialized (not yet ready for logging)
VasilyL
Hi Wilson,
Thanks for a quick answer!
The point here is that we have ~5000 lines of such output in the log collected during one hour.
Does it mean that we have some troubles in IVR app architecture?
WilsonYu
5000 in one hour? That doesn't seem right. Can you post some sample logs?
Go to:   
Mobile view