AvdhutVaidya
Hi everyone,

Could you help me with the following issue?
I am using AVAYA IC 7.3 version. I have a .NET WCF application hosted in IIS which is sending request to AVAYA for user's login. I am supplying the necessary credentials, telephony extension number the URL where our AVAYA server is hosted. However, this function throws back an exception stating "Object reference not set to instance of an object". This doesn't happen all the time.. but it happens sometimes for 5 to 15 minutes and later it again starts working. I want to know if there is anything i should need to correct in my code.
JohnBiggs
I am sorry Avdhut, this forum is for a different subject matter altogether. Ther is no forum for Avaya IC support.
DevConnect provides support for IC but not at your membership level.
For more on DevConnect memberships click https://www.devconnectprogram.com/site/global/program_benefits/membership_overview/index.gsp#tabs-1

Given the request sometimes works, my intuition is the problem does lie within your or the .NET or IIC code. Have you done tracing on the IC side, or a packet trace to see if the rejections are coming from AIC, or locally within your system? If from IC have you investigated its logs? This is where I would start were I in your shoes.

How frequently are you sending requests? Many products have a form of DoS protection where they will reject requests if they are happening too frequently. They tend to re-enable the service after some timeout period.
AvdhutVaidya
Can you pls suggest which type of membership do i need to buy? Basic membership also can ask technical queries based on purchased hours. And then there is Support enabled membership. Also, can you suggest which tier does my query fall in? As they specify that Tier 3 & Tier 4 category of questions need paid technical hours?

The AVAYA server is handled by a third party vendor. I will ask them for logs. The frequency i think will not matter because the same dll is being used by their older application which when tried doesn't fail when the user logs in.
AvdhutVaidya
ok.. i am reviewing the logs now
JohnBiggs
A support enabled membership is sufficient for your need.

I am afraid I don't know. let me see what I can find out.
JohnBiggs
From my IC contact:

“Object reference not set to instance of an object” seems to be basically a null pointer exception so the problem is probably on the client side. It could be thrown by your code or within the IC SDK code. I'd add some code to my method to prove you don't have a null pointer problem at the point you call into the SDK.

There is a section in the Programmers Guide, “Client SDK client logging”, which should explain how to enable client side traces for the SDK.
Go to:   
Mobile view