RedOctober
I'm not sure which forum I should be posting in, and I'm not sure which forum I should be posting a question about which forum I should be posting in. I'm posting here, just because the word "Basic" is in the forum name. Any help would be appreciated with the question(s) below, or at least give me the URL to which is the correct forum I should be posting in. Thanks.

OPTION A:

I'm a Delphi programmer with 20+ years experience building database applications for the Microsoft Windows platform. I've never built a telephone app before. However, I have built a digital medical records system using Delphi. I'm also the office manager at the medical clinic where this app runs. We have an Avaya IP Office version 9.1. I would like to build a Microsoft app that can:

- Dial a phone number that is in our database, in a computer app (using a headset), rather than a receptionist having to dial a phone
- Dial a list of phone numbers, one at a time, and allow the receptionist to take control of the call, and clicking "Next" to dial the next number in the list. The Avaya IP phone system is on the same LAN as the client PCs that the app will be on.

How do I get started? Is there an SDK that I need? Does anyone know of a Delphi component that handles the underlying connection plumbing for Avaya? Is there a Delphi sub-community within this Avaya ecosystem?

OPTION B:

Is there a ready-made Microsoft application that runs on a client PC that looks and acts like a phone (using a headset) that my receptionists can use, instead of, or in addition to, the regular Avaya phone on their desk?

I would like to do both A and B if possible.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
JohnBiggs
DevConnect does not provide a free support option for IP Office. That is why you can not find a forum that covers IPOffice to ask your questions in.

Let me suggest the following
Navigate to
https://www.devconnectprogram.com/site/global/products_resources/ip_office/releases/10_1/index.gsp

Click on Downloads in the center panel, then click on 'Centralized CTI Web Services' Review the information provided there related to that service. It should allow you to build an application like what you describe. It does require the use of a IP Office component: one-X Portal for IP Office, which may incurr additional licensing costs for your organization. This is a new API as of release 10.1 and you may find omissions in the documentation

The other approach would be to use TAPI. On the same Downloads page click on "TAPI, DevLink 3, and DevLink" and review those materials. This approach would require that you learn a lot more about telephony and do more programming in my opinion, but it is a more mature API.

There are soft phones that work with IP Office. The first question I have relative to your question though will probably be meaningless to you: do you want to use SIP or H.323 protocol for the soft phones?
RedOctober
This is very helpful JohnBiggs. Thanks.
JohnBiggs
Avaya Communicator is a SIP softphone that works with IP Office. Assuming you are protocol agnostic, I would start there.
Go to:   
Mobile view