jinze.dai
Hi, we have an application written in OD that's in production for a while now. The application is installed on WebSphere. We don't have the runtimeconfig.ear installed so I think the license on AEP itself is being used. Recently we got a WebSphere error with this message:

com.avaya.sce.runtimecommon.SCERuntimeException: Invalid runtime license

Restarting WebSphere didn't fix the problem. We had to redeploy the application to resolve it.

My question is, what might have caused this issue? How can we prevent it from happening out of the blue?

Thanks,
Jinze
WilsonYu
The license server url should be coming from EP. You can trace it down on the EP side and check the licenses for the OD runtime on the license serve that EP is pointing to.
jinze.dai
Thanks for your reply, Wilson. Based on the fact it worked after the application was redeployed, AEP license probably is not the real issue. Are there known issues with the OD runtime jars?
WilsonYu
Typically, after the app server starts up and when any OD app starts a call for the first time, the license URL is acquired from EPM and cached for subsequent calls. The licenses are being refreshed every hour based on the cached URL. I am not sure what would cause the problem which could mean that the license server URL is suddenly gone from the cache or the URL is bad. I would need some logs from the app trace.log to see what is happening.
jinze.dai
We have traces disabled in production. Do you have recommendations on what traces to turn on?
WilsonYu
In EPM application configuration, under Reporting Parameters/Orchestration Designer Application Logging, enable Runtime Traces.
jinze.dai
I turned on trace on our test AEP. trace.log does say license invalid, grace period ..... In the test AEP, I see license is valid. Is it because the runtime on WebSphere is not defaulting to the originating AEP for licenses?
Filename trace.log [Disk] Download
  • [Thumb - license.png]
[Disk] Download
WilsonYu
The log show there is no license URL from EP:

26/11/2018 14:15:56:035 DEBUG - ZhvnKuc4aL0CiKsFK92FGNo:/PruMVP : License: Use the license server url in VPMS instead - null

In this case, it is either the EP web service not working or some of the settings on EPM are not right. To debug this further, you would need to show me the vpapplogclient.log in the app server directory.
jinze.dai
I don't see file vpapplogclient.log. Do I need to turn on some logging level to see that file? Are there way to check EP web service directly? What EPM parameters should I check?
jinze.dai
Hi Wilson, I ran the following command on the test AEP, redeployed the application, but got the same message in trace.log regarding license.
/opt/Avaya/ExperiencePortal/Support/Security-Tools/ConfigureLegacyTLS.sh enable

Also, http://<epm>/axis2 returns a valid web page.
WilsonYu
You would need to do a file search in the websphere install directory for the vpapplogclient.log which could tell you what the error is when talking EPM.
Since you are on Websphere, have you set up the shared library for the common runtime according to the documentation on deployment?
jinze.dai
Please see vpAppLogClient.log
Filename vpAppLogClient.log [Disk] Download
jinze.dai
Found a similar post https://www.devconnectprogram.com/forums/posts/list/17684.page

I try the suggestion and see if it fixes it. Thanks.
WilsonYu
I am not able to download this file, not sure why.
jinze.dai
Hi Wilson, I have the following jar's inside my app lib folder. I have to use commons-httpclient-3.1.jar. We use WebSphere 9. Do you have an updated list of shared library entries I should add? I reattached the log.

adminvar-rt-07.10.12.02.jar json-20170516.jar VPAppLogClient.log4j.properties
commons-codec-1.3.jar log4j.properties VPAppLogClient_7.1.0.jar
commons-httpclient-3.1.jar log4j-1.2.15.jar VPAppLogClientWS_7.1.0.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar scert-07.10.12.02.jar VPWebServiceClient-07.10.05.04.jar
en-us.jar scertcommon-07.10.12.02.jar weblm.jar
Filename vpAppLogClient.log [Disk] Download
Go to:   
Mobile view