MaheshKumar123
Hi,

we have an OD app running on Tomcat 8 and interfacing with a backend system using soap webservices. we are using axis for webservice.
we are seeing that sometime the webservice calls are failing and we are seeing below exception on the logs. we are seeing this error one in every5-10 request.

we first thought this could be issue with back-end system and hence tried load testing using soap ui and we didn't find any issue there.

regards,
Mahesh

Logs:---
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.connectivity.ws.CallService.execute(CallService.java:426)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.Data.evaluateActions(Data.java:228)
at flow.subflow.TBM.getTollBillDetaillsWS.executeDataActions(getTollBillDetaillsWS.java:90)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.Data.handleRequest(Data.java:121)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.AppServlet.processRequest(AppServlet.java:96)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.SCEServlet.requestHandler(SCEServlet.java:243)
at com.avaya.sce.runtime.SCEServlet.doGet(SCEServlet.java:140)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:622)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:292)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFilter.doFilter(WsFilter.java:52)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:240)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:207)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:212)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:502)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:141)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:616)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:528)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1100)
at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:687)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1520)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1476)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: (0)null
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:744)
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:144)
at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:32)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:118)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.invoke(SimpleChain.java:83)
at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:165)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invokeEngine(Call.java:2784)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2767)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2443)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:2366)
at org.apache.axis.client.Call.invoke(Call.java:1812)
Filename Logs.txt [Disk] Download
WilsonYu
The error come from the axis code:

at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:744)

and it is intermittent. That makes it look like it is a network issue. Did you try load testing with Soap UI on the same app server?
MaheshKumar123
Yes. i did load testing from the same subnet and didnt find any problem. Also i tried it from my local machine and didnt find any problem.
MaheshKumar123
is there a way to catch this particular exception using dialog designer variables? so that we can retry the webservice request.

regards
Mahesh
WilsonYu
You can try using the Try and catch items in the palette.
MaheshKumar123
Hi Wilson,

i tried that and the catch toolstep from palette catch all kind of exception. how do i determine if this is particularly java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException so that i can attempt retry.

regards,
mahesh
WilsonYu
You just need to set the Exceptions property to "java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException" to catch this particular exception.
MaheshKumar123
Hi Wilson.

It looks like the exception that is thrown invocation target exception is thrown if the request is timeout (after 30 seconds) or the request drops immediately.
Looks like axis throwing same exception on all cases.

WilsonYu
When you have problem invoking the web service and not getting any response back, that the error you have to deal with. Any other specific error would have to come from either the web service itself or axis's interpretation of it.
MaheshKumar123
Hi Wilson.

i am trying to understand the root cause of this error as i have not seen this in the past. why would webservice comes back with exception on the very immediate same time.
we are running the app on tomcat 8. have you seen this problem in the past with soap webservices?
Go to:   
Mobile view