BrunoHaas2
Hi,
I am trying to register the extension via Dashboard's "Register Terminal" without success, even though I can start a session a get device ID. With the same setting on Dashboard, I was able to register the extension about 2 weeks ago.
The dmcc-trace.log.0 on the AES shows me some useful infor:2012-04-09 19.04.00,627 com.avaya.mvcs.proxy.CstaRouterNode processPacket
FINE: invokeID= 3 Received com.avaya.platform.broker.impl.AsyncResponse@166bea0 in response to session[session A10979ADA65BEDE737B2B411ABEA3A72-283] com.avaya.csta.binding.RegisterTerminalRequest@13a2ddd
2012-04-09 19.04.00,629 com.avaya.mvcs.proxy.CstaMarshallerNode$CstaMarshallerThread convertThrowable
FINE: Exception is instance of InvocationTargetException
2012-04-09 19.04.00,629 com.avaya.mvcs.proxy.CstaMarshallerNode$CstaMarshallerThread convertThrowable
FINE: InvocationTargetException cause is: java.lang.IllegalStateException: registerDevice/registerTerminal cannot be called - the License Service has been shut down
FINE: Returning negative ack to client session (A10979ADA65BEDE737B2B411ABEA3A72-283) : ch.ecma.csta.errors.CstaException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: registerDevice/registerTerminal cannot be called - the License Service has been shut down
Can you please tell me which is "License Service" here?
And I can still use Avaya Softphone to register to the extension, but not with Dashboard and my application.
JohnBiggs
Bruno,
AE Services has licenses to control how many registered DMCC devices there are at any one moment in time. These licenses are kept by something called WebLM (Web [based] License Manager). There are licenses for other services (TSAPI, CVLAN, etc) kept by the same license server.

The error indicates that that service can not be reached (e.g. probably isn't running) to allocate a license for the DMCC device registration (therefore the request is blocked). Most likely WebLM is a application running in the tomcat instance on AE Services (otherwise you would probably know more about it). There is a chance that AE Services is configured to contact a remote license server (this is always true with a system platform install; and true of other installs if you are using enterprise wide licensing).

The reason you can register a station is that that registration is handled by Communication Manager, and Communication Manager has a different type of license that handles H.323 station registrations, and all that appears to be working.

What release are you on? (run swversion at a linux prompt)
Is this a system platform install, bundled or software only?

Restarting AE Services (the server) is probably the simplest way to recover from this problem.

As to why it isn't running you may get some insight by inspecting the /opt/mvap/logs/log.YYYYMMDD file, however depending on the cause that may not help. As a precaution from it happening again I would make sure I was running the most current release of (system Platform and) AE Services. I believe I recall a system platform issue which prevented AE Services from accessing WebLM in an older release. You could check the release notes between what you are running and the current releases looking for issues associated with WebLM either in AE Services or System Platform.

John
BrunoHaas2
Thanks John,
While waiting for permission to restart AES, I check out the things you advised. Our release version from swversion is:
Version:r6-1-0-20-6
Server Type: OTHER
Offer Type: Virtual-Appliance
OS version: Linux 2.6.18

We are using BDE setup

The logs shows:
18:35:54 ERROR:CRITICAL:licenseInfo:TsapiLicense::init:Can't connect to WebLM -- using default VALUE_NOTES
18:36:01 ERROR:CRITICAL:licenseInfo:TsapiLicense::init:Can't connect to WebLM -- using default VALUE_NOTES
Hopefully, those info will be helpful.
Thanks

JohnBiggs
hmm. I have not seen BDE get into the state you describe. If you can get into the web OA&M interface (http://<ip-of-AES>;) you could check the Licensing -> WebLM Server Address and verify it is set to 127.0.0.1 port 8443 and SSL is checked.

If you then click on 'WebLM Server Access', you should get a new popup window with the logging prompt from the Web License Manager... but I am betting you don't. If you see the login window credentials are: admin/admnpw

you may be able to less invasively restart the right piece of AE Services by restarting tomcat on the server (service tomcat5 restart). WebLM is a java application deployed on tomcat.
BrunoHaas2
I checked the WebLM Server Address, and it is set to 127.0.0.1 port 8443 and SSL is checked
I also was able to login WebLM Server Access, under License Product->Application Enablement, all the features had passed the expiration date, which is 2012/01/31, but I dont think its a problem, because just a few weeks ago, I was able to register the extensions.
Trying to restart Tomcat, I got permission denied with craft user:
shutdownsvc succeeded
addsvd succedded
/opt/mvap/watchdog/bin/watchdogFunction: line ::33 /var/log/coreservices/wdlog Permission denied

Thanks for your help
BrunoHaas2
Hi John,
I have restarted AE server, and the registrations went fine...for ~10 minutes. After that, the same problem occurred. Restarting AE server again, will give another good 10 minutes. I tried tor restart Linux also, but the problem did not go away. I can not register the extensions without restarting AE server each 10 minutes
Please advise
Thanks
BrunoHaas2
Update infor
I found on the CM license status that it can not connect to WebLM:

CommunicaMgr License Mode: Normal
Unable to contact WebLM Server at the specified URL.

Does it mean anything?
Thanks
JohnBiggs
In BDE a common WebLM on AE Services is employed to host Communication Manager and AE Services license files. Thus until you resolve the problem on AE Services, this is expected.

What have you done to try to resolve that problem (i.e. reboot AE Services)?
BrunoHaas2
I rebooted AE server, and as I mentioned, I can register extensions successfully, but after 10 minutes, I can not register extensions any more, until I restart AE server again to have another good 10m
However, I just have seen that our DMCC license has been expired. Is is possible that is the culprit of the problem?
Thanks
JohnBiggs
Sure is a strange way to tell you that... but it does fit the data points. I am guessing this is a BDE from last summer/fall that has not been license renewed for 1H2012 then. You will need to submit a procurement request and get a new license for it then.
DennisLange2
Hello, we are having a similar problem, but we are sure our license which was installed about a month ago is good till end of December. Upon restarting the system, we get some number of initiates through RegisterTerminal, and call handling... After this, RegisterTerminal returns error 'unspecified'. Peeking around dmcc-error.log.0 shows errors related to the license; we do not have direct access to this file yes, so here is a the highlight.

WARNING: The AES Licensing Service has detected a licensing problem - setting DMCC license mode to ERROR.
You have 30 days in which to fix the following problem:
The WebLM license has expired. Please replace the license file with one that is current.

We will provide more content from the log, if you think necessary. We should also mention that we have installed servers using VMware Player. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JohnBiggs
access AEServices and take a look at teh license file. It should be in /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/WebLM/Lixenses/*.xml
look for a line that reads
<ExpirationDate>2012/11/08</ExpirationDate>
or something along those lines.
Verify that ExpirationDate is in the future relative to the clock on AE Services.

I perceive you are using Basic Development Environment (BDE) based on your VMWare Player statement.. note that last I looked at VMWare Player it does not save changes to the image, and thus I do not recommend it be used for BDE. If VMWare Player still has that behavior, you would need to reinstall the AE Services license each time you restart the AE Services virtual machine (along with re-doing every other provisioning/configuration change that is made).

BDE licenses expire roughly every 6 months. You may be in need of a new license file as evidenced by the ExpirationDate stored in the xml file. If so please open a technical support request (link to the left) and provide company information and, if you know it, the procurement number for BDE. We can then replace your license file assuming your procurement for BDE is up to date.
JohnBiggs
If I could type what I am thinking I would be more dangerous.

Access AEServices and take a look at the license file. It should be in /usr/share/tomcat5/webapps/WebLM/Licenses/*.xml
Go to:   
Mobile view