RowanHawkins
Hello,

We are running the AE and CM VMs in corporate lan mode,
AE: 192.168.51.253
CM: 192.168.51.254

Our licenses are installed into the AE server but the CM is not able to reach them with the following error.

CommunicaMgr License Mode: Normal
Unable to contact WebLM Server at the specified URL.
checking application CommunicaMgr version R016x.00.0.345.0
WebLM server used for License: https://192.168.51.253:443/WebLM/LicenseServer
Module ID is 1
System ID is 1

When I look at the WebLM server (WebLM v4.6) on 192.168.51.253:443 I see it and am prompted to login which I can do successfully.

Application Enablement (CTI) -- License installed on: Oct 25, 2013 5:05:28 PM MDT
Call Center -- License installed on: Oct 25, 2013 5:05:35 PM MDT
Communication Manager -- License installed on: Oct 25, 2013 5:05:35 PM MDT

In the AE server the WebLM Server address is set to 127.0.0.1:8443, but I don't get any response on that port. I also changed the listed port to 443 and restarted all of the AE's services with no change from the CM.

What should be my next troubleshooting steps?
Thanks,
Rowan
JohnBiggs
I dont know that this is the problem, but it is my initial guess. I had noticed that the port Communication Manager expects WebLM to be running on (52233) does not match that which AE Services was using (443). you can see the listen ports on AE Services using netstat -a. I forget how I figured out how Communication Manager was trying to connect to WebLM on the 'wrong port' and noticed this was my problem. Either a packet sniff, or a log file clued me in I suppose (look files in /var/log/ecs)

As part of a different activity I built this script to change it and ran it as root on Communication Manager

if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
echo please provide an IP or URL for the WebLM server
exit
fi

export ECS_CONF=/etc/opt/ecs/ecs.conf
weblmurl $1 >/dev/null 2>&1
cat $ECS_CONF | sed "s/52233/443/" >/tmp/ecs.conf
mv /tmp/ecs.conf $ECS_CONF
chmod 644 $ECS_CONF
JohnBiggs
Now that I have taken the time to bother reading my script.. the answer to what port is being used will be in the configuration file on Communication Manager

/etc/opt/ecs/ecs.conf
WebLMURL https://135.9.231.228:443/WebLM/LicenseServer

In this case 135.9.231.228 is an AE Services server.
RowanHawkins
John,

I look a look at our setup, ecs.conf is looking in

WebLMURL https://192.168.51.253:443/WebLM/LicenseServer

The license server is there on the AE, is just not responding the way the CM expects. I can ping between the hosts, and running WGET from the CM to AE pulls the license server splash screen. I also have to use WGET --no-check-certificate because of the certificate ip/name mismatch.

wget -S --no-check-certificate https://192.168.51.253:443/WebLM/LicenseServer

When the CM is requesting the License file, I take it is requesting to read the installed XML document from the AE server which I provided to the AE server Licensing Application at registration?

I think the file is either not named the way the CM is expecting or is not in the location it is looking for.

As I mentioned before, uploading the XML was flawless an everything shows as being good from the AE's perspective, the CM just isn't seeing it.

Thanks,
Rowan
JohnBiggs
so, did you recently install this? Upgrade the license file on AES? Change IP addresses? Did this ever work?

the name of the file isnt the issue.. although the contents may be.

Check the contents of the XML file ... look at the expiration dates.. <ExpirationDate>2013/10/01</ExpirationDate>
is the license expired?

Have you tried a reboot of Communication Manager?
RowanHawkins
John,
This was installed on Friday, so it has never worked. At that time the 2 XML license files were applied. I had previously tested the VMs in VMWare Player just to confirm that there were no major snags following though the network configuration document sent with the BDE.

I had not worried about the error under player because I had not yet applied the license files.

Both VM's have been rebooted a couple of times since then as I was trying to troubleshoot this issue. The CM was also rebooted once because I used the "Stop DADS" Button after getting the console working.

Also because I saw that the CM gets its licenses from the AES, I have always been bringing up the AES to a login prompt before launching the CM instance. I don't believe that was explicitly started anywhere, but this is one of several projects I am taking over.

The two files we received were:
BDE2H2013CMf.xml
BDE2H2013AESf.xml
ExpirationDate 2014/01/31 throughout both documents.
JohnBiggs
Is the license for AE Services working, or are you getting that far in your testing? look at /opt/mvap/logs/log.* for a line that reads

log.20131011:17:38:33 ERROR:WARNING:asailink:GenericLicense::SetMode:License mode changed to LICENSE_NORMAL cause: Initialize license as normal

I am wondering if the Host Identifier for WebLM is messed up. but that doesnt make sense.. as you seem to have successfully installed the licenses on AE Services.

If AEServices is able to get licensing successfully, my temptation is to ask you to re-install Communication Manager from the DVD and re-configure it with a new IP and networking arrangement. If AES is having issues communicating with WebLM, then I propose re-installing and configuring AE Services from teh DVD.
Go to:   
Mobile view