HarryVekeria
As part of our BDE v6.1 the AES and CM have been working fine for a while, along with the GEDI. Out of the blue, we can’t start the GEDI any more (AES & CM still functional). Any ideas? Do you know how I can debug this (log files etc)? For example what port does it use?

We get the following error box "Communications Error: network connection failed. Connection to host over network failed. Ensure hostname and connection port are correct, and that the host is operational and connected to the network."

JohnBiggs
first question ... have you restarted the Communication Manager VM? Please save translations at the SAT (save translations) and then restart the virtual machine in its entirety (linux: sudu shutdown -r ) .
What often happens is after some period of time the process in Communication Manager that GEDI interfaces to seems to halt. The easiest way to repair it is to restart the VM.

If that doesn't do it, then shutdown CM, find the directory it is in on the server/PC, rename the CM directory old_CM, and use the installer to re-install the CM VM, then do any IP reconfig you did, and then if you have done additional provisioning changes we can copy the translations file from the old_CM to the new one, restart the new CM and things should be all better.

The translation files are named xln1 and xln2 you can find them by doing a find from the root directory "/" although I think you will need root permissions to access them. If we get thsi far I will contact you directly with that information.

HarryVekeria
Thanks John for the reply.

So the options that I have tried so far are:

1) Restarted the CM virtual machine, but no joy.
2) Tried to rename the CM directory and reinstalled CM VM, but again GEDI still does not work.

On your last point on saving the translation files, how do I actually do that? And I don not have root permissions on CM as that is one of the limitations of BDE that it does not give root access.

Any further help will be much appreciated.
JohnBiggs
saving translations is now pointless due to the CM restart. They are saved daily, but any change you did through the SAT (CM provisioning interface) would be lost back to when the most recent automatic or manual save was done. Manual saves are done through the Communication Manager SAT interface using the 'save translation' command. Instructions for accessing the SAT for BDE are in the installation guide.

Now then why doesn't GEDI connect...

What is your development environment like? Are you using host only VMs and acccess? or did you reconfigure BDE to connect to the LAN external to the PC/server hosting BDE? Where is GEDI relative to the BDE VMs (from a network perspective)?

Did you perhaps update the Java run time environment?
MakarandBhalekar
Hi,

As John has indicated, please verify the network connectivity from the machine where GEDI/ASA is installed to the CM.

If you are able to ping CM IP from GEDI/ASA machine then you need to verify the port being used for connection.

Open ASA-->System-->Properties-->Connections tab. Make note of CM IP and the port used for connection.

Now Open CM's web interface (https://CM-IP) --> Login with craft user --> Go to Server maintenance --> Under Security Section, select Server Access.

Ensure that the concerned port is enabled.
HarryVekeria
Thank you for the reply.

As suggested, we checked the port and it was enabled on the CM.

However, I noticed that the IP address was 192.11.13.6. And the GEDI was working all fine earlier with these settings. It stopped working recently and there had been no changes done to Connections.

But now I changed it to the IP address of CM and and GEDI is working now.

Thanks

Go to:   
Mobile view