NarcisC
hello,

Customer have this error:
2023-07-19 16:03:15,948 TSProviderImpl 1151 - *** Heartbeat timer expired. Shutting down Provider. ***

I think the default value for this timeout is.
Please, do Avaya recommend changing this value (and if so, what to?)
JohnBiggs
Avaya does not recommend changing the timer. We recommend investigating and resolving why three attempts at sending the heartbeat from the far end did not reach the server. If the heartbeats are not arriving, neither are request from the application, thus things are not working properly. Extending the heartbeat is only going to prolong the situation.
UmeshC
We never changed default value and our connectors are running fine at multiple sites.

Thanks & Regards,
Umesh
NarcisC
ok, thanks. so standard value should stay.

Customer is convinced that the reported heartbeat error is present only against JTAPI v8.1.3.0 and the app worked okay against v6.1.0.77.
So basically looks to be a breakage.

Do we have other incidents like this reported already? I can only find this issue reported ax fixed in the changelog SMGR-52922, not sure if this is relevant although.
UmeshC
Which version of AES installed at said site?

Regards,
Umesh
JohnBiggs
People report heartbeat issues against many releases. Upon investigation they are tracked to network and application issues. There are plenty of customers on 8.1.3 (AES and/or JTAPI Client - from your post so far what is running where is not clear) without heartbeat issues for me to feel confident this is not breakage.

How frequently is this happening?
Has wireshark been captured and examined for evidence?

Your SMGR-52922 JIRA is not related.
NarcisC
@Umesh: AES 10.1.3 is used (latest)
JTAPI v 8.1.3.0.0.25

Should they use latest client version as well?

JohnBiggs
My recommendation is they troubleshoot the issue instead of guessing.
Setup wireshark and figure out what is happening with the heartbeats.

There is nothing wrong with updating the client to 10.1.x, but IMHO it is unlikely to fix anything.
NarcisC
thanks, I requested this info.
is there any debug recommendation for the client app to be enabled to get specific log info?
JohnBiggs
never hurts to get a full bookmarked view

The JTAPI Programmer's Guide does cover logging for the JTAPI client.

https://downloads.avaya.com/css/P8/documents/101058310

You will want to edit your TSAPI.pro file to include the trace file location/name and to set
the debug level (please use level 7). For example, if you add these two lines to your TSAPI.pro file...

altTraceFile=C:/tmp/jtapi_trace.txt
debugLevel=7

... you should have logs for the call captured in C:/tmp/jtapi_trace.txt. Please comment out or remove "debugLevel=7" after capturing the test call.
NarcisC
Thanks. much appreciated.
NarcisC
Don't have wireshark yet, but what I found strange in logs - a lot of messages like

INFO TsapiHeartbeatStatus - Enabling the TSAPI heartbeat with a heartbeat interval of 20 seconds.

is this normal? I thought this heartbeat must be enabled only once.
JohnBiggs
which log file is it in? Is the timestamp between them ~ 20 seconds?
I would hazard a guess that it is merely an indication that a heartbeat was sent, and that the system is scheduling the next one. If you are opening multiple streams to AES, I would expect one per stream to be occurring.
Go to:   
Mobile view