sathyavasudeva
Is it possible to connect more than one AES servers in high availability mode as it can be done with CMS servers?
JohnBiggs
Not with AES releases up through release 3.1, redundancy for AES is done by the application detecting the failure of one AES/route, and switching to a second AES/route.  In 3.1 it requires the application rebuilding the entire session, deviceIDs, monitors, registrations, and re-aquiring state knowledge.
sathyavasudeva
Thanks for you response, John. We actually have 3.1.2(and recently learnt that 4.0 is coming soon, which we are planning to test) and its still in our test lab. We have 4 s8720''s and are planning to buy 2 AES servers for production. So since we have not built any architechture yet would be more curious to know how exactly high availability can be built on these AES servers when we implement the project.

Please let me know if there are any reference document or any suggestions to make the high availability happen.

Thanks again. 
JohnBiggs
Have you read the white paper? 

White paper on AE Services 3.1 Support forCommunication Manager Enterprise Survivable Server(ESS) and Local Survivable Processor (LSP) (65Kb .pdf)

available off this page

https://devconnect.avaya.com/public/dyn/d_dyn.jsp?fn=125

Keep you eyes on the functionality in 4.0 there are some useful improvements there which I cant discuss here, but will be valuable to take advantage of.  It falls short of high avalability backup, but it is an improvement over 3.1
DaveBurritt
I talked to someone in the AES development team and received the following response.

With TSAPI, JTAPI, CVLAN and DLG, it?s possible to administer links from two different AES servers to the same switch.  Apps can establish monitors (or domain controls if using CVLAN / DLG) on both AES servers, but only process events from one of them.  If the ?active? AES fails, they can then switch over to the standby and won?t have to incur the startup time of establishing the monitors.  Several requests / responses may have been lost during this failover. 

They also suggested you take a look at the white paper.
JohnBiggs
Davebrings up a good point. The degree of availability varies with respect to which APIs you are utilizing, due to differences in the number of simultaneous monitors they can set up. For some reason I fixated on the DMCC functionality in my responses. Dave explains TSAPI/JTAPI/DLG/CVLAN is different. For other APIs (e.g. SMS) it is fundmentally different in its behavior, but no redundancy by the AES is supported for those sessions.
sathyavasudeva
John and Dave, thank you very much for your response, actually like many other Avaya users am very new to AES server. Please let us know if you have any more details or suggestions or precautions for the actual implementation.
JohnBiggs
Come back any time with questions.. Particularly after reading the white paper.
Go to:   
Mobile view