liu159
Can the "displayName" in Method create(String address, String displayName) from Class IdentityFactory be displayed as whatever text we want on avaya phones and mobile devices ?

We tried Avaya Communicator it can display whatever text we created but for avaya phones and mobile devices it displays caller's numbers.

We want to use this as a text reminder for the purpose of the incoming call.
JoelEzell
A few things:

First off, Identity should only be used in a 2-party make call situation. This is the identity that will be shown to the called party when the call is originated. For instance, if I wanted to call you from my home phone but make it look like it was coming from my Avaya Aura work phone number, I would put my work phone number / display in Identity, and put my home phone number in the "from" parameter.

If you're doing a one-party make call (application calling out to an individual for a reminder / announcement), then you would use Participant to set the number / display string, and you'd use this signature: CallFactory.create(Participant callingParty, String target).

Mobile phones will never show the display string. They always base the displayed caller name on your local address book, and never base it on the incoming caller ID string. Think about whether you've ever had a call from somebody not in your address book that showed a display string. You probably haven't.

Avaya phones should show the display string, but some of this depends on trunk configuration on CM. Are you testing this in your own lab or in Collaboratory?
liu159
We are using 2-party calls.

Our purpose is to schedule a aac meeting and bring the first party to a aac bridge (second party).

Once the first party gets a call, we want to display a text message of reminding him/her what's the purpose of this meeting, why is EDP calling you for a meeting. That's also what our users ask for.

This is only working for Avaya Communicator right now. We can display something like "Meeting with important customers !!!" but it does not work on Avaya phones and mobile phones. For these two phones it displays the phone number of the first party (which is the user's number).

The Avaya phones are our office desktop phones with our own extensions.

JoelEzell
I see. Can you please tell me what kind of phones you have? Model number, and SIP/H.323? Have you tried a shorter string to see if that works?
JoelEzell
Also, when you're testing with Communicator, is that provisioned as a Communication Manager endpoint or are you registering with SIP to Session Manager without CM in the application sequence?
liu159
I need to check with our sales people (who uses our snap-in) tomorrow.

I will get back to you and provide those information tomorrow.
liu159
Model number: 9630G
I don't see a SIP/H.323 on the phone.
Here is the SN I found: 11N531506302
JoelEzell
I just checked with one of our Communication Manager experts, and he can't imagine why the string would not be displayed on the phones. Can you please get a trace on Session Manager that shows the INVITE that is being sent to CM? Do you know how to do this? If that's too difficult, I could maybe settle for a trace of the message leaving EDP.
liu159
Sorry for the late reply.

I'm not familiar with how to do that. We have a another team responsible for the server. Maybe I can talk to them to see if they can do that. I will get back to you if they cannot.

Further more, I just tested my snap-in again. For Avaya Communicator, it could display any text message that I typed in. But for mobile phone, it just displayed the second party's phone number...
JoelEzell
Yes, as I mentioned, the mobile phone network doesn't provide incoming caller ID capabilities like the analog PSTN does. If you think about your own experience with your mobile phone, you've probably never seen any sort of label on an incoming call unless you had the caller in your address book. Unfortunately, that's not something that EDP will be able to address.
liu159
Yes. Thank you for that information.

I tested several Avaya One-X phones too. Some of them can see the displayName and others cannot.

For those phones cannot see the displayName I also found that they cannot hear any announcement played by EDP or hear anything if they are connected to a AAC bridge. The strange thing is that they can call out which means they are not broken...

So I guess this issue happens for some Avaya One-X phones maybe because of some configuration thing (I talked to our IT people who's taking care of those hardware, desktop phones, he said there is a possibility that the phone is not configured right) ?

Do we have any way to tell the problem if a user come across this issue ? We should be able to tell what causes the issue.

Thanks !
JoelEzell
It's good to hear that you got this working with some of the phones at least. Given that this works with some phones but not others, it really seems like a Communication Manager misconfiguration. If your IT team is not able to determine the cause of the problem, I'd encourage them to open a ticket with Avaya Client Services or with whomever is providing your service contract.

Please do let us know what the root cause of the issue is. If it's something that might be common, we could consider adding a note to our customer documentation as a trap to watch out for.
Go to:   
Mobile view