JNemani
Hello,

I have an application I've been using for approximately 18 months with OD 8.1.0.061 using JRE1.8.0_91, worked fine this whole time.

I've been asked to get off Oracle and onto an OpenJDK, so I've downloaded Eclipse Adoptium JVM Version: 11.0.21+9
In downloaded the latest OD 8.1.2
installed the 11.0.21+9
OD launches fine.
Changed default JRE to the 11.0.21+9 instance
Launch Tomcat, no errors

I open my existing application and it loads with no errors
I've changed the compile version to 11, the app recompiles no errors.

Now when I run my app, which first prompts for 1 for english, 2 spanish, 3 for French using a custom DTMF grammer I'm getting a nomatch hit when I press 1 or 2 or 3, it will never show a value.

So I decided to create the most basic of applications that contains one prompt and collect step that says press 1 or 2 and a custom dtmf grammar containing 1 and 2.
Again I only get no match replies.

Is something wrong in 8.1.2 or a bug and I need some patch or what am I missing based off the above config?

I also tried the above steps with openjdk 12 from openjdk.org.

Same results, no custom grammars that existed before work.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
massimo__croci
Hi.

So the issue is with OD 8.1.2 with Java 11, right? Java 1.8 works.

Did you check if the Tomcat is using the JVM 11 ?
JNemani
Hi
Now my od 8.1 original and 8.1.2 new are both having dtmf issues even when I revert back to the old jvm 1.8.
I keep getting no match on existing grammars that have worked for years.

This is on my workstation I do dev work on, how would I confirm if the install of tomcat provided on the 8.1 or 8.1.2 is using jvm 11?
JNemani
Found it
Dec 22, 2023 9:12:11 AM org.apache.catalina.startup.VersionLoggerListener log
INFO: Server version name: Apache Tomcat/9.0.39
INFO: Server built: Oct 6 2020 14:11:46 UTC
INFO: Server version number: 9.0.39.0
INFO: OS Name: Windows 10
INFO: OS Version: 10.0
INFO: Architecture: amd64
INFO: Java Home: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_91
INFO: JVM Version: 1.8.0_91-b15
INFO: JVM Vendor: Oracle Corporation
INFO: CATALINA_BASE: C:\AOD-8.1\apache-tomcat-9.0.39
INFO: CATALINA_HOME: C:\AOD-8.1\apache-tomcat-9.0.39

When Tomcat loads it is using the original jre 1.8.0_91 this is from my 8.1 od where the grammars in this whole flow have stopped working throughout the flow.
JNemani
This is interesting.
original grammars - FAIL
I changed the existing grammar on a prompt and collect step to a different existing one in the list. - FAILS i tried multiple all fail.
If I go into the prompt and collect step itself, right click on grammar and create a new one there - WORKS.

What does that mean?
JNemani
Trying paste some xml code but it displays wrong.
JNemani
I started digging into the xml files associated with the grammars I have in the Prod workspace versus my Dev workspace

The prod grammars are failing
The dev grammars still work
Same application

Something in one of the recompile processes or rebuilds has changed the structure of each grammar adding lots of line spaces. Is this the issue?

In the attached file you will see what I'm referring to.

Both of these files are from 8.1 od with jre 1.8
Filename OD Grammar Issue.txt [Disk] Download
JohnBiggs
we are very short staffed for the holidays, and I really do not know the answers and the people who would are taking time to be with family and friends.
But
A) XML is supposed to be white space insensitive
B) can't you (make a backup copy of the file) edit the file and see if you break/fix the issue in one environment or the other?
massimo__croci
Hi, I was OOO, maybe I lost some steps.

- Did you try to modify the failing grammar file (PRODUCTION) in order to mirror the good one (DEVELOPMENT) ? Does that work ?

- No errors on the trace ?

Note: See the attached picture where to locate the used JRE/JVM on the OD
  • [Thumb - OD - where to check the currently used JVM.jpg]
[Disk] Download
JNemani
I did try to backup the file, mod it to match and reran the app and the grammars still failed.

So while testing more items I deleted the grammar and rebuilt it and it works. Problem with that solution is now I'll have to test every app that uses a grammar or I won't know what else broke.

Happy Holidays now worries on the timing of course family comes first :)

Now since changing to jvm 11.0.32+9, none of the applications are logging to the trace files anymore on the server. I'll open a separate thread.

JNemani
Update having this same exact issue when using 8.1 versus 8.1.2

I did more testing with grxml files.

I was able to create a new grammar, which puts all those line feeds and spaces in it.
run the simple press 1 or 2 application and it won't match.

I then take the grxml file that does not contain the spaces or lines feeds and copy the contents to my new grammar and the application immediately works without even restarting tomcat or orchestration designer.

So why are grammar files generating differently than in the past this seems to be the issue.
Filename Press1or2-srgs - working older grammar.grxml [Disk] Download
Filename Press1or2-srgs-FAILING NEWER GRAMMAR.grxml [Disk] Download
massimo__croci
Hi.

This issue sounds weird.

I tested a Menu node in a brand-new app created on a brand-new OD 8.1.2 with Java 11 (I used Azul Zulu that is a distribution of OpenJDK) in the Menu node but I had no problem with the grammar, it works as expected and it appears as expected (no line feeds or blank spaces).

Might you provide some details (also screenshots are fine) to reproduce the same problem in my environment ? I read 'custom grammar'. Did you test an external grammar in a development 's environment ?
  • [Thumb - 02.jpg]
[Disk] Download
  • [Thumb - 01.jpg]
[Disk] Download
  • [Thumb - 04.jpg]
[Disk] Download
JNemani
I see you used zulu 11 inside OD, but what version are you running that eclipse uses to launch itself?

I ask because I just tried the following and it fixed everything.

I have used jre-8U91 for years installed on my machine and my JAVA_HOME system var has been set to that install forever.

Then I'd launch eclipse and OD was set to the same Java in the same locations you listed above and life has been great.

Then I was asked to get off jre-8U91.
So I dropped in various openJDK's binaries into my c:\Program files\Java\ folder and then would change the points you showed above and test each one version 11, 12, 17, etc.
It seemed to be ok but when I got to apps that had grammars that is when I noticed they weren't working.

So I thought maybe because I have 8U91 on my system which is different than what I'm trying in Eclipse (which it shouldn't), that is causing the issue.
So i set the java points of reference to 12 in eclipse and closed eclipse
I changed the JAVA_HOME var to reflect 12. Rebooted of course, launched eclipse and now java 12 matched everywhere.
Existing grammars still failed
New grammars would not work.

So after trying this with 5 versions of openjdk I decided to try the Temurin 1.8.0_392-b08, which is open source and very similar in compatibility to my original JRE-8U91. And now existing and new grammars work.

Its just doesn't make sense that any time I use any java greater than 1.8 the srgs.grxml files have lots of line feeds, but if I take them out it fixes all the issues. what is generating those line feeds or what isn't handling the line fees properly?

I've attached the same 2 grammars created justing Java 1_8 and Java11, that is the only thing I see different.

Ultimately I'd like to use 11 or 12 across the board if I can get it working.
Thanks for your time
Filename Java1_8_Digits0thru9-srgs.grxml [Disk] Download
Filename Java11_Digits0thru9-srgs.grxml [Disk] Download
massimo__croci
Hi.

My only Java installed on the system (see attached picture).

Sometimes there are problems using different Java distributions: they are officially fully compatible but maybe one or more .jar file is/files are not updated.

My tip:
Try to always use the same Java: the host on which OD is running, the OD when designing then building apps, the server on which the platform EP is running on.

Same for the app server when possible:
The OD can only use the Apache Tomcat coming with the .iso file for simulation, anyway you can use the same Tomcat release with the platform EP (otherwise, pay attention when you export the runtimeconfig files and the project .war file to select the appropriate app server to be used with the EP).
  • [Thumb - Untitled.jpg]
[Disk] Download
Go to:   
Mobile view