JessChan2
Hi all,

I have the following questions on the application trace log and report log.

1. Is the Report Log only logging the system errors?

2. Is the Trace Log logging the customer flow options and input customer parameters?

3. How to define the data retention of these two logs?

4. How to enable/disable these logs separately?

5. Can we turn off the capturing of input customer parameter on field level?

6. Can we turn off both report log and trace log ? What is the impact ?

7. Can we turn on report log and trace log ? What is the impact ?

Thanks.
Jess
SamareshKowshik
I'll respond to each question as you have them listed so it's easier to digest.

1. The report log does log exceptions/errors, but you can also control what goes in there by using the Report palette item.

2. The trace log will have flow information such as what variables are being used and the values that are being accessed, web service call information, DB operation information, DTMF values that are pressed, etc, all of which is based on what options you choose. You can also add information by using the Trace palette item in your flow.

3. Items will be written to the trace.log and report.log throughout any single day, with new items appended to the end. At the end of the day, those log files will get data stamped and fresh log files will be used.

4. For simulation, you can enable/disable options for these logs by going to:

Window > Preferences > Avaya Aura > Application Simulation > Orchestration Designer Simulation

There is a section in the dev guide that explains what these options do titled: "Orchestration Designer Simulation preferences"

For deployed apps, you would use the ddrt.properties file located in the data folder of the app. The options are explained in the file itself, and you will be able to turn off/on reporting and tracing of the application, as well as turning on/off some individual trace/report items. When you deploy your app, make sure you uncheck the option to reset the trace file. By default, tracing is turned off.

5. Not sure what this means. Field level?

6. This might be answered above, but yes these can be turned off. In a deployed app, tracing is disabled by default. Reporting is used when the Report item is encountered in your flow, so technically if you don't use reporting this is off. There is no negative consequence of having these off, other than not being able to debug a problematic app as easily.

7. Going off of #6, a problematic app can always have the logs turned back on, in which case the items you specify to be saved (see #1, 2, and 4) will be saved to the logs. An impact of this would be that the log files can get large and take up space on your system.

One last item, both the report.log and trace.log files use Apache's log4j to write out information. It's a bit out of the scope of this forum to go into the many details of log4j, but I would suggest perhaps doing an internet search on it to learn more. The ddlog4j.properties file in the data directory controls the creation of the time stamped log files, as well as the detail level of what is written, as long as tracing is enabled.

Hope that answers all your questions!
JessChan2
Thanks for your information. But I still have some questions to follow up.

3. Will the system delete the old files automatically? If yes, how can I set the retention period

5. For example, the menu is to ask user to input credit card. I don't want this information to be shown in the trace log. Is it possible?
JessChan2
One more question. We try to disable all the log by editing ddrt.properties. But we find that the call flow is impacted as it will go to other nodes that different to the original one. Is it normal? Is it caused by adding our own logging in the trace or report log?
WilsonYu
3. The default settings in ddlog4j.properties we provide is for the log to roll over daily. We don't delete old log files.
5. You can set a variable/field to private in its property. Logs will not display its value.

Don't change ddrt.properties if you don't need to. It will affect all the nodes of course.
Anonymous

I have tried to set the privacy as shown in the attachment to not showing the user input in the application trace log but it fails. Would you please help?
  • [Thumb - image002.jpg]
[Disk] Download
WilsonYu
I was talking about set the variable/field's private property in the variables editor. Open the variables editor and select the value field under the getCreditCard and set the private property to true. This will make the value not show in the trace log.
JessChan2
I try to find this property in variable editor but cannot, as shown in the attachment. Is it because it is not available in version 4.1? If yes, do you know what we can do for this version?
  • [Thumb - Variable Editor.png]
[Disk] Download
WilsonYu
We started to support this in 5.1. You have to upgrade. No other way.
Go to:   
Mobile view